Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Life of a Two missionary District

Yup...that is right! My old districts have had anywhere from 6-10 missionaries in them! Lots of fun and a LOT of responsibility over those missionaries...but not out here in lovely 東港(Tungkang). Out here it is JUST Elder Anderson and I and we are about 2 hours away from the closest missionaries! So District Training Meeting, Teaching English, P-Day....everything is just us two! :) Do you just feel the love? haha. But really, Elder Anderson is AWESOME and I love working with him so these next 6 weeks are going to be AWESOME!

image

So here is some funny stories really fast! And to back these up, you have to know that 東港 really is a pretty out there area. It has been an area that has been....in a drought of the spirit I guess you can say. There was a string of missionaries that came through that just gave up because there isn't a whole lot going on out here (MISSIONARIES! DON'T DO THAT! GOD IS PREPARING PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!!!). And so people haven't seen missionaries often. Out here more people have asked me why I am here than in my whole mission put together. (Which is a good thing cause it is a good opener, but a bad thing cause its like...are you kidding? We are the only white people that ever show up here and there is only like 1000 people here...you have never seen us? haha). So there is your background!

So at McDees we were teaching a first lesson! (McDees is a prime spot for spiritual enlightenment...that is why Dad always took us there when we were younger ;)) And in the middle of this lesson these two high school girls walk over and TOTALLY interrupt our lesson and say..."Can we take a picture with you two?" Then they barge in and basically try to jump on us and start snapping pictures...Needless to say, bad situation and bad influence on the person we were meeting with. We handled it well after....but man. That was a scary moment (yes....girls are scary...).

But a SUPER cool thing, is that even though we are far out...the closest Elders and closest area is 小港!! (XiaoGang!) Remember that place? That is my first area! I was there for almost a year! :) So it brought back a LOT of awesome memories and felt a little bit like home! That got me so excited to go out and just work hard!

image

I introduced my family to everyone and USUALLY ALMOST 100% of the time everyone says "WOW! Your Mom is so young and so beautiful!" And they just can't get over the fact that I am the son of that woman! (I know it is hard to believe that someone like me get get born to such an AMAZING angel!) However this time, everyone was like, "Wow! your dad is SOOO COOL! IS he going to ever come to Taiwan! I wan't to meet him! He seems so awesome!! WOW! Bring him over here quick!!" hahahaha. So yes...Dad IS Superman and IS famous in Taiwan now.

This is going to sound a little weird...but I loved it and it helped me a ton! I was havin' a bit of a rough day, still doing all I can, but it was just one of THOSE days. So anyways, it was about time for lunch and I walked into a place to get food and what was on the speakers? Nickelback! I haven't heard them for SOOO LONG! Now I know there are a lot of haters out there but I LOVE Nickelback haha. Anyways, it was EXACTLY what I needed to get me pumped up again! The Lord just knows and he really does just give you little blessings here and there cause he loves you and he knows! HE KNOWS! :)

This week we were only able to help one kid find his way to church but he is AWESOME! He is also meeting with the Jehovahs Witness's because he REALLY wants to know which church is true! So he went out and missionaries found him! :) He is SUPER COOL! And has such a pure desire! I hope so much that the Lord can use me and my companion to help him realize the truth of the restored gospel and its truth! I know it is true! I know that any accomplishment I have of anything that we do is because of the Lord and his mercy! :) I LOVE THE GOSPEL!!! :):)

I think that is about it for the week!

I read an awesome scripture in Proverbs this week...I think it was chapter two and listening to your parents. And 1 Nephi 1 verse 1 talks about the importance of parents...It is pretty obvious that listening to parents are important!! I love my parents and am so Grateful for them! This week I hope everyone can go out and just express their thanks for their families!!! :) Show them your love! :)

-

Ge Sheng Long ZhangLao

葛勝龍長老

image